What’s it really like to work there? We recently met with staff at Nulogy to learn a little more about the hiring practices, company culture and employee perks.
Nulogy is a software as a service company that develops, supports and sells software products in the field of supply chain management, contract packaging and contract manufacturing.
Their story began 15 years ago at the University of Waterloo when four engineering grads worked on a design project that became Nulogy. It is now an award-winning company that has grown to have its software implemented worldwide.
Co-Founder and CTO, Jason Yuen, says Nulogy’s backstory has influenced the culture. As a company founded by four friends wanting to make a difference, the close relationship between the founders influenced the family-like culture that exists here. This informed the company mantra “It’s not just business, it’s personal”.
The engineering culture at Nulogy has been carefully crafted over the last 15 years to align with the founders’ vision and the complex supply chain-industry. It’s much more than hiring smart developers — it’s about building a team that constantly levels-up together, diffuses their knowledge, and builds their experiences into a stronger product.
As quality and collaboration are at the core of Nulogy’s engineering culture, the office is built to reflect this. It is an open concept office designed to encourage solving complex problems by working together. Meeting rooms are lined with whiteboard walls used for intense brainstorming and reflection. Touches of Nulogy’s story are built into the space, such as rooms named after the company’s values: autonomy, purpose, and mastery. The executive team doesn’t have offices; they work among the rest of the employees (who are fondly referred to as Nulogites).
Finally, what we noticed most is the shared sense of leadership at Nulogy; everyone’s voice matters. This notion shines through the space, values, and culture at the Nulogy office.
Tips from the hiring team at Nulogy
1. There is equal emphasis on attitude as there is skill.
2. We are looking for team-oriented candidates who will put the group first and skip the headphones.
3. There is a shared responsibility for leadership at Nulogy. Everyone has a voice. Reflect on what you can bring to the team to showcase this, regardless of your skill level.
4. We have a learning culture entrenched in our engineering practices and that means constant feedback and improvement. As such, you have to be self-aware, open to change, and willing to take initiative.
Summary of culture and perks
- Unlimited vacation. It’s an environment of trust. Employees are trusted to contribute while taking an adequate amount of personal time. This work/life balance shows employees they are valued.
- Company vision retreat each year. Last year the entire team and their significant others went up North to a winter retreat in Ontario for a holiday celebration.
- Employee learning budget.
- Pick your machine and work setup.
- While there are plenty more traditional perks, there is a real emphasis on an environment of empathy, listening and learning that enable you to grow as an individual…and that lasts long after the snacks are finished!
To learn more about current job opportunities at Nulogy, please click HERE.
Stay up-to-date with information about cool companies and job opportunities near you. Click here to learn more about Prelook.